Destruction of the castle at the end of World War II
The Szczecin Castle was devastated at the end of World War II when the allied air forces bombarded German cities, wanting to force Hitler to capitulate. The bombing of the Old Town on 17 August 1944 completely destroyed the roofs of the castle, its inner walls and elements of its historical furnishing. Only burnt-out main walls of particular wings, cellar vaults and some vaults in the northern, southern and mint wings survived. It was the greatest destruction that the castle suffered in its almost 400-year history. Possibly, the valuable historical furnishings from the church of St. Otto had been evacuated to the church of St. Maurice in Pyrzyce, but they also went missing in unknown circumstances.